Friday, May 28, 2010

Stakes

Went out looking for stakes yesterday with Josh, in the optimist/foolish hope that the rain will stop long enough for my plants to actually grow. Weather man says we're starting June with a pretty big storm, so I guess not. This close to potting everything up, bringing them inside and putting grow lights over them.

But anyways, back to the stakes. They're hazelnut shoots we found on craigslist. I didn't want to pay 10-15$ a piece for tomato cages, and these sticks were 0.50$ a piece. Got 26 10 foot long sticks for 15$ (I didn't have 13$, and the guy was so nice I thought he deserved the extra 2$). The sellers are this adorable little old couple, Bob and June that had been working this acre for 30 years in Everett. Their garden had an orchard, a rose garden, veggie garden, green house, worm bin, everything you'd want. And it was a bit overgrown, so it had that sort of magical feeling. There were birds nesting right in the middle of the property, and that was just adorable. I think they were thrushes but not robyns. Their garden sorta helped me put to rest any questions I had about comfrey. Ok, the purple blossoms were beautiful. They wasn't too tall, and looked very handsom in the shade under the orchard trees. But it was EVERYWHERE. They told me these were the decendants of one plant June bought 30 years ago. They'd tried an eradication technique a few years ago where they put down lots of black plastic to kill them off. Instead, they sent roots out until they found the light. Kinda thinking comfrey is not worth it...

No comments:

Post a Comment