Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tomato Pruning Experiment, Week Four

Week four of me answer the question: do pruned tomato plants produce more than their un-pruned sisters?

The  Oregon Spring tomatoes produced another four pints  this week!  I also got 3.85 ounces of Sun Golds, which isn't alot but since they're salad tomatoes I will take it :)


To recap, I have 2 Sungolds, 4 Oregon Springs, and 4 Grandma Mary's Paste tomato plants growing in my garden this year.  I pruned 1 Sungold, 1 Oregon Spring, and 1 Grandma Mary and let the rest go wild.  I'm also growing Legends and Green Zebras, but I left them out of the experiment this time around.


The Pruned Sungold plant (and babies!!):




















Six tomatoes with a total weight of 2 ounces

Un-Pruned Sungold tomoato (and babies!):






































Second week of the  pruned plant is producing more, but not by much.

Grandma Mary's:
No difference between last week and this. ho-hum...

Oregon Spring, unpruned:








































And the unpruned Oregon Spring:
 
















It appears we're missing some tomato-y goodness....

The pruned one is almost ready!!!

Total harvest from Pruned Sungold: 3.3 ounces
Total harvest from Unpruned Sungold: 2.6 ounces
Total harvest from Pruned Oregon Spring: 0 ounces
Total harvest from Unpruned Oregon Spring: 66.45 ounces (16.61 ounces per plant)
Total harvest from Pruned Grandma Mary's Paste Tomatoes: 0 ounces
Total harvest from Unpruned Grandma Mary's Paste Tomatoes: 0 ounces

Keep watching the blog, I'll continue to post the harvest tallies each week!

No comments:

Post a Comment