Sunday, July 13, 2014

Berries - final if not complete tally

I harvested the last of the berries on Friday. 2 pounds overall, mostly blueberries and currants. A few late strawberries too. I should have grabbed a pic of the strawberries but I forgot. I got six quarts of strawberry jam, enough eating strawberries to make myself puke, and a few gallons frozen in the freezer as well. We also have two honeydew berry plants, but those are pretty much Josh's only so I don't have claim to them. The white currants are on their 3rd year, the blackcurrants are on their second. The blueberries are on their fourth year. So far, I love the white currants the most. I think I'll get some more bushes. The south side of my house will soon be a perennial food forest, mostly including fruiting bushes and trees. It's been so hard to think about giving up that area, since it's been so productive the last two years, but I know it can't last. We left it as native meadow for two years to build the soil, but I've been using it for vegetables for the past two years, it ought to go to something sustainable next. The food forest will have currants, apples, maybe a pear tree, strawberries, and a perennial onion species of some sort. Of course I'll continue to put in side species of beneficial flowers to feed my local pollenators.
almost two pounds of berries and I'd already eaten a bunch? not too shabby...

No comments:

Post a Comment