Friday, July 25, 2014

Tomato Pruning Experiment, Week 2


I'm a day behind, because there was a big rain storm over the past few days in the Pacific Northwest.  Usually the tomato plants don't care for a lot of rain, but I let them get it this week since it was only for a few days.  At this point, they just appreciate the moisture.  as long as they get to completely dry out for a long while, that is.

I'm glad the heatwave broke because while tomatoes love the heat, it's been so intense that the blossoms fell off.  Now, all the plants have fresh blossoms.



Grandma Mary's Paste Tomatoes -  both the pruned and un-pruned plants did not produce red fruits this week.  it does appear that the pruned ones have breakers on them, according to the tomato color chart.

Big changes in the Oregon Springs!  One is definitely light red, so should be ready this week.  I"m so excited.  The unpruned Oregon Spring is ahead of the game.  I think this is to be expected, as Oregon Springs are determinate and bred specifically for the Pacific Northwest.  Territorial Seeds sells them, and I swear by them every year.







Another change!  The pruned Sungolds are producing finally.  Sungold tomatoes are indeterminate cherry tomatoes, very different than the determinate slicing tomatoes.

I am surprised to see that for one variety pruning helped it produced faster than it's unpruned brother, and vise versa for another variety.  I do not know if it's because one is determinate and one is not, one is slicing, one is cherry, etc.  I'll weigh the amount from each plant throughout the season and keep a tally so that we'll have a type by type comparison.  Go Science!

No comments:

Post a Comment